1. The competition is open to pianists of all nationalities born between July 1, 1988 and July 1, 1999. In exceptional circumstances, a younger contestant may be accepted. As the Vendome Prize is aimed at the promotion of the concert careers of successful contestants, all candidates must have the repertory to sustain such a career. This must include between 6 and 8 piano concertos depending on age (see Rules and Regulations n°4).
2. The application process is by recommendation only. The application form is online, please include a birth certificate or similar official document furnishing proof of date of birth, a glossy colour and/or black-and-white photograph for the brochure, a curriculum vitae and a complete list of repertory including 6 to 8 concertos (see Rules and Regulations point n°4), a 90 minute solo programme (from 3-4 different musical periods and must include a Beethoven Sonata), a DVD as well as a demo audio recording, and any other recordings that will increase the possibility of your being accepted. Recordings should include selections or complete works in at least three different periods and include a Beethoven Sonata. There is NO time limit for either DVD or audio recordings. The video recordings should show the candidate’s hands and face very clearly at all times.
3. Based on this information, a Vendome Prize committee appointed from 3 members of the final jury will select approximately 12 pianists who will go to Verbier. Each participant in Verbier will have their travel and living expenses covered.
4. No obligatory repertory except for a Beethoven sonata (First Round in Verbier).
5. By applying online, the candidate accepts the rules and regulations of the competition, and agrees to perform at all stages of the competition free of charge.
6. The competition authorities retain the right to reject any application which does not conform in its entirety to the competition’s regulations.
7. Total of $50,000 in prizes includes: First prize $25,000; Second prize $15,000; Third prize $10,000. The first prize winner will play a recital at the 2018 Verbier Festival.
8. Candidates invited will be chosen in view of their potential to embark on an international concert career. This will include a large repertoire including between 6 and 8 concertos according to age, previous achievement in competitions, awards, letters of reference, international reputation and the quality of their recordings and DVDs. In addition to the applications we receive, the Vendome Prize will send its representatives as scouts to several major international competitions and will ask the world’s leading conservatories, music centers and concert presenters with whom Vendome has collaborated over the last decade to recommend candidates.